jackifulwood

The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two
Catherynne M. Valente, Ana Juan
Joshua Dread: The Nameless Hero
Lee Bacon
The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins Because it has been so popular, I went into this book feeling like the last person on earth to read it. Now I know it's going to be read by many more people for many years to come.

It's hard to review it without giving away the plot, so I'll just say that the character development, the pacing, the emotion, the world-building, the plot twists, the sci-fi atmosphere, and the action: it's all here in spades.

My only complaint about this book is a complaint against YA in general. This book features yet another heroine who is smart, beautiful, and capable, but who has absolutely no idea that she is smart, beautiful, and capable. I'm tired of reading about a heroine who thinks the hero can't possibly love her, that he's just crazy or pretending. Do authors think that giving the heroine at least some sense of her own abilities will make her seem arrogant? That to be a "good" girl, the heroine has to be completely unaware of romantic feelings and only experience them herself when some guy makes it impossible not to? There's some strange madonna complex at work here that doesn't reflect the truth of adolescent girlhood, and it's very frustrating to me. Besides, I felt the love story didn't add half as much emotion as Katniss's sisterly attachment to Rue.

Nevertheless, this book is powerful and fantastic. I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel!

Recommend to: Just recommend it!