jackifulwood

The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two
Catherynne M. Valente, Ana Juan
Joshua Dread: The Nameless Hero
Lee Bacon
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Marvel Classics) - 'Eric Shanower',  'L. Frank Baum' Summary: This comic book adaption of the Frank L. Baum novel follows Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, and the Cowardly Lion on their adventure-packed journey to ask boons of the Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz.

Verdict: Squee!

Yay!: This book is off-the-map adorable. The beautifully colored drawings range from a sweet pastel palette for the nicer areas of Oz, to purplish-blue dangerous forests, to a grim gray at the Witch of the West's castle, and even sepia overtones for the illustrated backstories of the separate characters Dorothy meets. The storyline of the book is preserved, and readers may be surprised to see how different it is from the classic movie and how many small details are worked into the comic. The book is fairly wordy and seemed longer than the average graphic novel, but perhaps looking at the detailed artwork slowed me down. Humor, both silly and subtle, springs up everywhere. I highly recommend this comic compendium.

Nay!: Um...uh...well...I'm thinking... Okay, my complaint is that at the cuter moments, I wanted to hug this book, and since I sometimes read in public, that could get embarrassing!

Bonus advice: This book would be fun to read alongside Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, especially if you're reading Wicked without having actually read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.