jackifulwood

Writing: A
Pacing: C
Ending: B
Cover Art: B

Christopher writes an interesting epistolary look at Stockholm Syndrome. 16-year-old Gemma is kidnapped by a man known to her only as Ty and taken to his house at the edge of an Australian desert. There she learns he's been following her for six years, planning to "save" her from her city life and disinterested parents, planning to make her love him.

The novel is an interesting look at the development of Stockholm Syndrome. The author makes the reader feel Gemma's emotions, see her captor through her eyes as he tries to gain her trust. Several times I thought, "Yeah, you'd be her perfect guy if you'd just asked her on a date instead of kidnapping her and holding her hostage in one of the most dangerous places on earth. Also if you weren't crazy."

Christopher's writing is gorgeous and emotional, but the plot drags at times. Ty dominated the story completely. Gemma has little personality and only thinks about her captor and getting home to her parents. I'm sure that's how I'd react in the same situation, but it made her difficult to relate to.

Best part: Camel vomit.