jackifulwood

Writing: A
Pacing: B
Ending: A
Cover Art: B

After reading this, I feel like the author's line of thought was, "I'm going to write one of those fallen angel/lost love teen novels, but I'm going to do it RIGHT." Her concept is that Seraphim (creatures that are, to all intents and purposes, angels) and Chimaera (demons, at least on the outside) have been at war since time immemorial, but not in an epic struggle of good versus evil. In this world, the good versus evil struggle is just human legend. In reality, the Seraphim are the technologically superior race who have colonized and enslaved the Chimaera, but see themselves as great liberators, leading an inferior barbarian race out of darkness.

Wonderful book, although the plot sometimes drags and the second half of the book is so heavy on flashbacks that the present-day plot feels like it's ground to a halt. This is the first in a series, and I can't wait for book 2!

Extra credit: The monetary system of wishes. A little scuppy will let you wish your hair blue, but it takes a bigger denomination to wish for something like the power of flight, and that will cost you some teeth...your own or someone else's.